Saturday, October 9, 2010

Bilkent Senfoni Orkestrası

So this evening, I managed to indulge in one of my non-history related interests:  classical music!  I went to the Bilkent Symphony Orchestra performance of Schoenberg's Op. 36 (I'd give you the title, but I can't actually read the program, much to my chagrin) and Schumann's Symphony no. 3.  For the cost of 8TL with my student discount (about $5.50 USD and CAD), it was an excellent evening.  The first piece I'd never heard before, and once I got over the intentional dissonance, it was actually pretty enjoyable.  The soloist (Ilya Gringolts, definitely not Turkish) was AMAZING!  For an encore, he pulled out Corelli's Adagio from Concerto Grosso (yeah, I had to look it up, I'm not that good) which was just incredible.  The girls sitting behind me kept saying how beautiful it was (çok güzel!)  Baroque music has always been my favourite, and Corelli is no exception.  For the second half, pretty standard and very well executed, and by the end, the conductor's hair was flying all over and bouncing!  I love it when the conductor is so into it, so enjoying the concert himself, that he just totally lets go and goes crazy on the podium.  Another good point....my tuba teacher was on stage for the first half (sorry, no tuba parts in Schumann)!  Overall, an excellent evening!
PS, I ended up going alone, which is great, cause then no one I know will laugh at me when I start nodding to the music ;)  If any of you have read Patrick O'Brien's "Master and Commander", think how Jack and Stephen meet at the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment